Christopher Milne, The Open Garden

Of course I knew Christopher Milne -- who doesn't know the real Christopher Robin, after all? But I hadn't read his story "The Windfall," and I wasn't familiar with his essays, four of which were collected with this story into a smallish book entitled The Open Garden: A Story with Four Essays.

And just between us, I didn't need to read "The Windfall." Kind of interesting, in a gender-essentialist sort of way, the way Milne retells the Eden narrative, but not much more than that.

The essays, though: I thought those were right gems! Honestly, I'll be reading and rereading these for a long time, and assigning them in classes as terrific examples of expository prose; of nature writing; and of memoir. I don't want to muck them up with too many words of my own, fatigued as I am tonight, and unprepared for wise comment, but honestly, you'd be doing yourself SUCH a favour if you just went off and had a quick read. It's a wee book, but thoughtful, insightful and wildly diverting. Good stuff indeed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for this, Richard. I'm always looking for good essays and these sound lovely.
Theresa K.

Popular Posts