March 5 - Books on View

Today was my first visit to Books on View, which is basically the overflow space for the very large Russell Books a block over on Fort Street. I didn't know what it was going to be like (all calendars? romance novels?), but I was seriously pleased. Basically it's where non-sellers from Russell go to languish, I gather, but since I don't buy fashionable books, I'll do just fine over there. Today, for example:
  • ed. Walter Levy and Christopher Hallowell, Green Perspectives: Thinking and Writing about Nature and the Environment ($4.99 - a terrific reader in the field of nature writing, with selections from 1850 to 1993)
  • Michael Pollan, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals ($9.99 - brand new, from a huge pile, and it's this month's book club selection)
  • Frank Stewart, A Natural History of Nature Writing ($9.99 - a pioneering text on nature writing's evolution, from 1995 but with an uncracked spine)
I escaped with only these three because I was trying to keep my volume down. The university bookstore called yesterday to say that Dan Philippon's (eagerly anticipated) Conserving Words has arrived, so I'm already on the hook there....

Comments

Popular Posts