Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Science fiction isn't my thing, so I don't have anything wise to say, but I quite enjoyed Ursula Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness. I'll read more by her, for sure, but I've said that bootlessly about Iain Banks, Asimov, Heinlein.... Mind you, I found it easier to connect with Le Guin's vision than with the others, but this might just say more about where my head is these days. She's a Pacific Coast writer, from Oregon, so I'm tempted to see a Cascadian link between her pen and my eyes, but things are rarely so simple as that.

The preface to the book, though, in which she disavows her skills at prophecy and truth-telling, was worth the price of admission. She deserves her awards, I'd hazard a guess, and there have been plenty of those.

Comments

Popular Posts